- CBP (Customs and Border Protection) is in the process of automating traveler arrival records to streamline passenger processing. The current processing time for entering foreign visitors’ travel information into the I-94 database is 30 days or more. This does not affect the majority of foreign travelers visiting for business or leisure and will not affect any visitor’s record of departure.
- Visitors may need to prove
their legal-visitor status within the first 30-45 days
of their U.S. stay to:
- Motor vehicle registration or drivers’ licensing agencies;
- The Social Security Administration;
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services; or
- Universities and schools.
- If during this timeframe,
visitors need to provide evidence of legal status they should
include the following:
- Unexpired foreign passport; and
- Country of Citizenship
- CBP Arrival/Departure Record, Form I-94 (if issued)
- This announcement is related to earlier report that the CBP is creating its own code numbers (other than I-94) at the port of entry, which will serve as the legal sources to verify the sources of verification of legal status rather than I-94.