Friday, January 24, 2014

USCIS Extends Relief Measures for Filipino Typhoon Victims

If you know anyone from Philippines, please forward this blog post to them.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds those affected by Typhoon Haiyan, which struck the Philippines on Nov. 8, 2013, of agency efforts to provide relief to victims of the typhoon.
Filipino nationals in the United States should visit to learn about a series of existing relief measures that may be available to them if requested. These relief measures include:
  • A change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even when the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired;
  • An extension of certain grants of parole made by USCIS;
  • An extension of certain grants of advance parole, and expedited processing of advance parole requests;
  • Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;
  • Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens;
  • Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate; and
  • Assistance to LPRs stranded overseas without immigration or travel documents, such as Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards). USCIS and the Department of State will coordinate on these matters when the LPR is stranded in a place that has no local USCIS office.

In addition, USCIS has proactively identified and is expediting pending I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, forms that have been filed by U.S. citizens for their Filipino immediate relatives. Our standard security checks remain in place.

Form I-130 petitioners may check their case status online at or contact the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TDD assistance).

In addition, a petitioner can sign up to receive automatic case status updates by email as the case is processed.



  1. Sir, Madam,

    I am a son of a World War II veteran and my father became a naturalized US citizen in March 1993, can I avail of the parole so that I can immigrate to USA and can apply for naturalization and became US citizen also someday? Thanks a lot.

  2. 141139864
    I am from nepal and I just got married. Now i am in texas and my wife lives in nepal. i am going to file I-131 for her but the thing is still she hasn't apply for passport because of her married. In my country if any women got married she supposed to change her last name get passport through her husband family name and for that work i supposed to be there with her and now i am in texas.
    Now my question is do i need to get her passport to file i-130. And what will be her last name and maiden name if she got the passport through father last name.


Comment Posting Tips:

1. To estimate when priority date can be current, please see this GC Calculator:

2. View or add your I-130/I-485/NVC case to GC Tracker:

3. You can browse or post new questions in GC Forum:

Comments posted above will only appear in this blog post. Comments posted below will appear across all blog posts:

comments powered by Disqus