Leon Rodriguez was the Director of the Office for Civil Rights for the US Department of Health and Human Services prior to his appointment.
Director Rodriguez will be replacing Alejandro Mayorkas who served as the Director of USCIS from August 2009 to December 2013. Alejandro Mayorkas is currently the DHS Deputy Secretary.
Here is some more background on Rodriguez:
- Served as the county attorney for Montgomery County, MD, leading efforts to provide legal advice and services to county departments, agencies, boards, and commissions, as well as the County Council
- Was shareholder in the Health Law department of Ober, Kaler, Grimes & Shriver
- Named “Outstanding Health Care Litigator” by Nightingale Health Care News
- Served on the board of the Montgomery County Primary Care Coalition, an organization that developed and implemented healthcare programs for uninsured county residents
- Served as federal and state prosecutor in various jurisdictions
- Was the first assistant U.S. attorney, serving in Pittsburgh, PA, and assigned to the prosecution of healthcare fraud cases
- Served as the first assistant U.S. attorney, Chief of the White Collar Crimes Section Served as a trial attorney in the Criminal Section of the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division
- Was assistant district attorney in Brooklyn, NY for six years Graduated from Brown University and Boston College Law School
- Fluent in Spanish and French